Jeff Soto On Art Today

"I was just thinking about how this art scene has evolved over the last 15 years that I have been involved (street, pop surreal, lowbrow, graffiti, illustration, whatever, I have been involved with all these genres). There's good and bad changes for sure. I was also thinking that I have met and befriended so many artists in my career that I cannot write and be critical of any type of art without offending someone...

I can say this - I am looking for something fresh and original and new, and I'm not finding it as often. The art I enjoy most is complex, has symbolism and metaphor, it has layers, it makes you think. You have to look for awhile and digest it. Much of what I am seeing the last couple years is quick face value art, you see it once and you "get" it. It's pretty, and well made, and you understand the message right away. Maybe it's a reaction to our fast paced Instagram society. Maybe artists are making art (consciously or unconsciously) that they know will be seen mostly on social media for a second or two as people swipe by it. I feel like there's a "ok, onto the next piece!" mentality instead of taking a lot of time on a painting. I dunno, just some thoughts while eating breakfast this morning..."
- Facebooked Jeff Soto (Do check the FB-link for tons of commentary and feedback). Shown below is the montage of artwork posted by Jeff Soto along with the above text.

I remember when my parents mentioned "being an artist" is a sure road to starvation (or sumach malady) that my "personal desire" was ever more heightened, for me to want to succeed as a comicbook artist - which I never did till now actually, but it never was really about the bills … nevertheless, with the advent of social media, I can attempt to "pretend" to be one, bolstered by the "Likes" and ind compliments I receive for my pseudo-pin up doodles, which is"perfect" for us wannabes! But agreeably, it might drag other "more serious" practitioners along with us down the path, as seems "anyone" can be an "artist" in this day and age, even it means within their own social network, IMHO.

But hey, I am not a practicing artists here, aren't I? What are YOUR thoughts on this?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK