#PublicGarden Consumer Trade Show 2016 @ Suntec City Convention Center (Sept 24-25)

Funny how I relate to things depending on their surroundings/environment … as I perused the entire Public Garden Consumer Trade Show at Hall 403 in Suntec City Convention Center today, my eyes were somewhat focused on looking out for (what else) “TOYS”, and as well indie art and illustrations done made multiple merchandize, in the Singapore climate of survival, and realizing with what I picked up (showcased below, of course), might have been somewhat “lost” amidst a thronging event such as STGCC2016, where similarly themed of all shapes, sizes and forms - much less color - bombard and battle to attract your attention!

Somewhat like finding THAT one sole stall in the night “pasar malam” (temporary/makeshift “night market”) that sold toys, amidst all the makan, telephony, and faux-antique stalls! Then finding out none of the bootlego and bootleg toys suit your tastes, even though they cater perfectly to your financial ability … *cough*.

All of which begs to differ, a question I’d love to ask ALL artists and artisans out there = “What Makes Your Work Stand Out Amongst Everyone Else’s?”

As for “what earns you more money?”, well, might be a while either round of Q&A … anyways…

Public GArden 2016

Scroll down for some snaps of goodness I snagged at the said Public Garden Consumer Trade Show, which opens 1pm-7pm on both Saturday and Sunday, and ends Sept 25th, 2016. Level 4, Hall 403 :)

WHAT-IS: "Public Garden is an alternative to big-box enterprise with a free spirit. Each project aims to provide surprising benefits to the public, in both tangible and intangible ways…

…Public Garden Consumer Trade Show is held a couple of times a year and features hundreds of top labels in design, art, fashion, vintage, beauty, dining and publishing. There is no restriction on industries. Anyone with an interesting brand concept can apply to join Public Garden Consumer Trade Show."
(www.public-garden.com)

The art of illustrator Munich AKA Satsuma Orange (satsumaorange.squarespace.com / Etsy / Facebook) had me with her “family portrait” depictions of Studio Ghibli characters (BOUGHT!) and most notably characters from Wes Anderson movies! Excitedly I picked “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou”, while others called out to me … alas it was only afters that I realised there was a smaller-sized card pack which contained ALL Wes Anderson movie characters AAARRRGGGHHHHHH … next time, next time…

Meanwhile, I’ve snagged some snaps off her Instagram @thesatsumaorange to share "Wes Anderson Film Characters" here on #popcornX and "Studio Ghibli Anime Film Characters" here on #iNotOtaku! :)


Another discovery were the products from MM Mrkt (www.facebook.com/MMmrkt), featuring Star Wars themed character, vehicular and android/robot reproductions in concrete! And while I am aware that this material is gaining traction through the globe (ok, at least the South East Asia region :p), this is the first time I see and hold the item(s) so close!

Barring the bigger pieces - because seriously I need to add to the already bludgeoning hoard in my kingdom - I walked away with a trio of head-sculpts, featuring Darth Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper, all finished in a metallic silver sheen, snaps of which I show here, although not being able to fully show the material.

You can folks can head on over to #starwarsallday to view more images swiped from their Instagram @mm_mrkt, and hit them up for goods if you so please! I would say “mention TOYSREVIL” but they might have zero clue, as I didn’t introduced myself hahahaha


#DarthVader in concrete by @mm_mrkt - with all three pieces finished in metallic silver FTW!

A photo posted by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


Another table which caught my attention, where I’d not been able to walk home with any merch from, is Chris Chew’s (Instagram @artof.chris). His printed illustrations of old school Singapore stuff was sublime, and I had my heart set on the “old school snacks” series - which alas he had not for sale then!

The current trend of retro-lookbacks is nigh interesting for me, not just because it is a “new” trend or “discovery of the past”, but because I lived it! So it is nice to see the “old days” made “new” again for the new generation (dammit I sound like THAT uncle telling stories around the TV during Chinese New Year visitations lor!).


The full write-up can be read on #GOLOCALSG - where I, f course, go on and on, and.. you know the blog-drill hahahaha (:p).

“Public Garden Consumer Trade Show” exhibits Saturday September 24th and ends Sunday September 25th (1PM - 7PM). Venue is Suntec City Convention Center Hall 403, Level 4. Find out more and sign up for their mailing list, via their Facebook and www.public-garden.com.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK